Sunday, January 24, 2010

Vanity

Subject: Vanity
Quote: “It [agreeing to marry her husband] made me feel so powerful…. The others thought me simply wonderful, and of course, it would have been very nice for them to have me. But I’m everything you most dislike and disapprove of, and yet you couldn’t withstand me! My vanity couldn’t hold out against that. It’s so much nicer to be a secret and delightful sin to anybody than to be a feather in his cap. I make you frightfully uncomfortable and stir you up the wrong way the whole time, and yet you adore me madly. You do adore me madly, don’t you?”
Character: Griselda, the vicar’s wife
Chapter/Story: 1
Book Title/Copyright: Murder at the Vicarage, 1930


Subject:  Murderer’s Vanity
Quote:  “I’ve never met a murderer who wasn’t vain…. It’s their vanity that leads to their undoing, nine times out of ten.  They may be frightened of being caught, but they can’t help strutting and boasting and usually they’re sure they’ve been far too clever to be caught.”
Character:  Sir Arthur Hayward
Chapter/Story:  12
Book Title/Copyright:  Crooked House, 1949


Subject:  Vanity
Quote:  “Why do people keep, in particular, photographs?… It reminds them…. Why does a woman keep a photograph of herself when young?  And I say that the first reason is, essentially, vanity.  She has been a pretty girl and she keeps a photograph of herself to remind her of what a pretty girl she was.  It encourages her when her mirror tells her unpalatable things.”
Character:  M. Hercule Poirot
Chapter/Story:  20 
Book Title/Copyright:  Mrs. McGinty’s Dead, 1952